1° recensione Alexander

« Older   Newer »

1. antoniobis

User deleted

ecco un'altra più che positiva recensione:

"Alexander" Review
    by Jim Pappas
    November 19, 2004

The view through history's lens has been mostly kind to Alexander the Great. Among all of the tyrants and despots throughout world history who have attempted to use the conquest of others for personal gain and glory, Alexander is remembered as being more hero than villain. Director and co-screenwriter Oliver Stone's new film, "Alexander," is kind to this historical figure as well, showing us a flawed and troubled man, who sought to bring some kind of unity, order, and purpose (as well as freedom and dignity) into the world around him.

Maybe there is an underlying and politically motivated message embedded somewhere within the story Stone tells us with his film, as there are certain aspects of Alexander's reign that could possibly be construed as a metaphor for George W. Bush's campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq, but I think Stone eschewed such an obvious ploy. He tells us as much as he can imagine about Alexander without attempting to distract and confuse us with unnecessary symbolism or trying to bait us into believing that X really means Y.

I didn't know what to expect when the film started, given Stone's reputation, but after the rather interesting and beautiful title sequence ended, we are told the story of Alexander the Great by Ptolemy (Anthony Hopkins), who is in Alexandria, Egypt and is narrating to scribes the history of Alexander. Ptolemy was part of Alexander's life throughout the length of it, and he starts us at the beginning with the childhood years (Connor Paolo plays him as a child, Colin Farrell as an adult, capably I'd like to add).

We are shown that his mother, Olympias (Angelina Jolie, who speaks with a rather puzzling accent that is unlike the speech of any of the other characters) dotes on the boy and tries to lure his affections away from his father, King Philip (Val Kilmer). Olympias and Philip are portrayed as being not exactly what one might call "deeply in love," let's say. We are shown that combat training is introduced to the children of Macedonia at an early age, and that homosexuality is not condemned, but is accepted as more or less the status quo by the society in which Alexander grew up. Later on we come to know that Alexander's deepest love is reserved for another man instead of his eventual wife (Rosario Dawson as the "barbarian" Roxane).

There are several spectacular battle sequences in "Alexander," including the battle between Alexander's forces and the Persian army led by King Darius (Raz Degan). Alexander's men were greatly outnumbered by Darius's, yet he managed to win the day because of a superior strategy. Stone takes us into the heart of this battle as if we were on the ground with the troops and the shear savagery and violence of combat as it occurred in the time of Alexander is brought home with immediacy and horror. We get to witness limbs cut from bodies, and the bloodlust that men have lived with since the beginning of time. We are also shown a glimpse of the aftermath of such battles, poignant and ultimately disgusting as they are. I credit Stone for taking the time to include this in his film, as it demonstrates how little has changed over the course of human history. Stone is saying, with this film, that mankind has not grown, has not truly evolved, and will not do so within any of our lifetimes. We are subjects to, not masters of, human nature.

That is ultimately the lesson being taught by a film like "Alexander," that human beings are today much as they were over 2000 years ago. We may have more toys, but we certainly aren't any better or worse, now, than the average person who has been walking the earth since the beginning of recorded history. This lesson is, of course, available to any who choose to learn it in the Bible, or other tomes that seek to teach us the folly of our pettiness.

Along with Oliver Stone, the writers of "Alexander" are Christopher Kyle and Laeta Kalogridis. Together, these three have done their best to be as historically accurate as possible and have not glamorized or marginalized any of the known details. I have to give all of the people involved with making "Alexander" credit for taking on this task with seriousness and resolve. "Alexander" is a history lesson more than it is entertainment, which is why I really can't give it my highest rating, but it is a good film and one that people will be talking about for awhile. That is something, at least.

Overall Rating: B

64 replies since 18/11/2004, 20:26   2017 views