Cattivo come adesso...Mike Patton's forum

Dettagli sulla produzione di Angel Dust, ...by Matt Wallace

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 30/9/2005, 15:56     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Su un forum (di cui parlavano in una mail di caca voante) ci sono un paio di interventi di Matt Wallace, produttore di "The Real Thing" e "Angel Dust", che spiega la produzione proprio di Angel Dust, ve li posto perché ci sono dei punti molto interessanti:

CITAZIONE
Hello All,

I'm new to this sort of thing so bear with me... plus I was just informed about this chat about "Angel Dust" by my friend Matt and, lo and behold, I only have a bit of time to write. Drag.

First off, thanks to all of you for saying such kind words about the work FNM and I did together on "Angel Dust". I appreciate the props. I don't know if any of you read Kerrang but about 2 years ago they rated the "Most Influential Albmus Of All Time" and to my surprise they named "Angel Dust" as the #1 album. Pretty ****ing cool.

To answer some of your questions, Jim Martin did not like the direction of AD and referred to it as "gay disco music" and that, coupled with his father dying just prior to making the record, the big booted fella who was supposed to bring the 6 string sludge to the table was unable. Bill Gould, the bass player, and I did many demos at his home (based upon live studio recordings of the primary players, Bordin on drums, Bottum on keys, and Gould on bass) and he and I worked out many of the guitar parts. I can't remember exactly but I believe that Bill played on about 60-70% of the guitars. The band were really at odds at this point. Patton, Gould, Bottum, and Bordin and I would track the stuff and then they would leave. Martin would come in after they had left and play guitar. The following day the band would come in to listen to what Jim had recorded and were furious! This lead to many, many heated phone conversations between the band (Bill especially) and Jim Martinl.

The basic tracking was done with almost NO COMPRESSION except about 2dB on the snare drum and bass guitar. Vocals were recorded with about the same amount. This was a conscious decision on my part because when "The Real Thing" was being mastered I almost cried because it sounded so shitty on my home stereo. Thankfully, though, it sounded ****ing amazing on MTV and radio. Whew! So, as a direct response to the thin, hyper compressed sound of TRT I went in the exact, total opposite direction. I did the recording with almost no compression and then in mastering is when I added the squish so that the entire record was compressed together instead of individual instruments being compressed.

The recording process was very, very difficult because Jim Martin didn't like the direction and was reeling from his father's death and this was also the time that Roddy was coming out of the closet (which really ****ed with Jim Martin). We were working at Coast and to say that the support at that studio was lame is an understatement. I will say that Gibbs Chapman, our assistant, was incredible during the 2" editing portion of the record. He and I were in separate rooms and were chopping the basic tracks together. However, once that was done I had to constantly hunt him down for assistance. Anyway, the fact that I was the producer, engineer, assistant enginer, and phone answerer (the studio had people call us directly on a phone line in the studio), and the fact that the band was at odds with eachother, made for a very difficult album to make. I took 3 months off after the record and was deciding if Iwanted to continue. ha ha. What a ****ing pussy I was back then.

By the way, while making AD someone broke the antenna off of my car and I had no functioning radio in the car until I gave it away a few months ago. Kind of ridiculous for a music producer to not have a working radio in his car. Lame. ha ha

Anyway, I have to go. Now that I'm hip to this forum I can check in, I guess. If you have any other questions post them and I'll see if I can answer them.

Once again, THANK YOU very much for your kind words and enthusiasm for the work that Faith No More and I did together. It is pretty cool to still have people talking about that record as we are all proud of the work that we did.

By the way, I have some out takes from that record that I'll have to release to the world sometime soon.

Matt Wallace

CITAZIONE
Hey gang,

To answer some questions about FNM's "Angel Dust"...

Both "The Real Thing" and "Angel Dust" were cut to a click. For the song "Epic" there are 28 razor blade edits done on that song to ensure that the drums kept the pulse. "Falling To Pieces" had about 24 razor blade edits, and oddly enough, these edits are quite audible if you go back and listen. I don't know how this happened as I did the edits exactly the same, with the same editing block, etc as other songs, but FTP ended up with noticable edits. Lots and lots of 2", razor blade edits on "Angel Dust" to keep the drums relatively tight with the click.

As to microphones, that was a while ago but I'm prety sure that there was an SM57 on the snare. A D12E or D20 on the kick with a U47 FET on the beater side (for Angel Dust), either 414's or 421's on the toms, some fancy assed Neumann or AKG mics for over heads (set up in a triangulated way-for AD album only-wherein a large diaphragm mic was positioned directly above the snare and another similar mic was placed at the far edge of the floor tom aiming towards the snare. both mics were measured and set to be at the exact same distance from the snare. on the monitor section these mics were panned opposite of eachother. i believe that this is an approach discovered or made popular during the Zepplin era), etc.

Anyway, have to go now. Chat with you all later.

Once again, thank you for your interest in the work that FNM and I did many years ago. I am thrilled that we did something that has, to this point, stood the test of time.

Many thanks,

Matt

p.s. I just found a bunch of DAT tapes with FNM stuff on them, outtakes, etc. Found the source material for the cheerleaders on "Be Aggressive". These gals were from the school where Patton's dad taught. Fun to listen to some of those tapes.

il link alla discussione è questo http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3...ight=angel+dust

Edited by MrBungle82 - 30/9/2005, 17:16

Web  Top
miss_bungle
view post Posted on 30/9/2005, 16:50     +1   -1

incredibile lo so...ho già letto tutta la trafila di email che si sono scritti a CV... ma non so...se è materiale scartato probabilmente non era così buono...però ci possono sempre essere delle eccezioni...

siamo sempre più affamati eh...?

view post Posted on 30/9/2005, 17:07     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Io non sapevo che le parti di chitarra (il 70% dice Wallace) in Angel Dust non le ha fatte Martin ma Gould ohmy.gif ... Non si finisce mai di apprendere... biggrin.gif
Poi avete visto le ultime righe del secondo post che vi ho quotato? Il padre di Mike era un insegnate a quanto pare...

Web  Top
miss_bungle
view post Posted on 30/9/2005, 18:13     +1   -1

si, di ginnastica...in un intervista mike ha dichiarato "mio padre era un coach, e sono cresciuto volendo sempre vincere" o qualcosa del genere..il senso è questo...

Lazarus Gordon
view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 05:50     +1   -1

e vincerai

view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 09:51     +1   -1

Group:
Moderatore globale

CITAZIONE (MrBungle82 @ 30/9/2005, 16:56)
Su un forum (di cui parlavano in una mail di caca voante) ci sono un paio di interventi di Matt Wallace, produttore di "The Real Thing" e "Angel Dust", che spiega la produzione proprio di Angel Dust, ve li posto perché ci sono dei punti molto interessanti:

Cazzo mi hai anticipato!

Edited by bunglegrind - 1/10/2005, 10:52

Web  Top
view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 14:00     +1   -1

Esegeta

Group:
Fan Club

CITAZIONE
Roddy was coming out of the closet (which really ****ed with Jim Martin)

ditemi che non è vero!!!

Web Contacts  Top
view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 14:36     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Sgabrioz @ 1/10/2005, 15:00)
CITAZIONE
Roddy was coming out of the closet (which really ****ed with Jim Martin)

ditemi che non è vero!!!

Anch'io ho capito quello ph34r.gif ma miss bungle mi ha detto che forse non significa quello... ph34r.gif ... mah... il dubbio resta ph34r.gif

Web  Top
view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 15:15     +1   -1

Esegeta

Group:
Fan Club

Miss Bungle toglici il dubbio :emo.
ma non era dean " puzzone" menta che se la faceva con Roddy Bottum?

Web Contacts  Top
miss_bungle
view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 16:45     +1   -1

mi dispiace deludervi...
ma non è molto chiaro...

credo che in questo caso il closet sia proprio la questione che stava ammettendo di essere gay...ma secondo me il "fucked" è per dire che è stata un altra cosa che ha fatto andare via Jim Martin, oltre la direzione del disco, difficoltà varie e morte del padre ecc...
fucked up si può tradurre con "incasinato"...

Edited by miss_bungle - 1/10/2005, 17:46

view post Posted on 1/10/2005, 20:25     +1   -1

Esegeta

Group:
Fan Club

io avevo capito:

Roddy era uscito fuori dall' armadio ( dove avev realmente scopato con Jim Martin)

troppo studio mi manda in pappa il cervello biggrin.gif

Web Contacts  Top
gitzmo
view post Posted on 2/10/2005, 13:36     +1   -1

CITAZIONE
"I can't remember exactly but I believe that Bill played on about 60-70% of the guitars."

Non ci credo

anzi sì "non rimembra"

view post Posted on 2/10/2005, 22:12     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Sgabrioz @ 1/10/2005, 21:25)
io avevo capito:

Roddy era uscito fuori dall' armadio ( dove avev realmente scopato con Jim Martin)

troppo studio mi manda in pappa il cervello biggrin.gif

Da Babylon Pro (dizionario per windows):

CITAZIONE
come out of the closet:

scoprire le proprie tendenze sessuali

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Edited by MrBungle82 - 2/10/2005, 23:13

Web  Top
view post Posted on 3/10/2005, 08:25     +1   -1

Poffàre

Group:
Fan Club

grazie di cuore per farmi leggere queste chicche!

comunque da quello che so io "fucked up" significa "incazzarsi"

Web  Top
White Russian
view post Posted on 3/10/2005, 13:24     +1   -1

Fucked Up vuol dire tutto e niente, dipende dal tono e dal posto da cui viene chi lo dice. Un New Yorkese dice Fuck anche intercalare, vedi il Padovano "Porco God". Può essere "incazzato" "fregato (fottuto)" "sconvolto" ecc ecc.

Io dell'inglese da non inglese amo il fatto che abbiano 4 parole in croce quindi è facile imparalo, però cazzo a volte non li si caopisce proprio.

Io CREDO COSì A NASO ched in quel caso fosse usato come "incazzato".

Coming Out The Closet stà più che altro per "mettere le carte in tavola", però sapevo anche io che ormai viene usato solo per dire "aòh, mi piace la minchia" ohmy.gif <- faccina NON allusiva laugh.gif laugh.gif

Traduzione a naso:

CITAZIONE
The recording process was very, very difficult because Jim Martin didn't like the direction and was reeling from his father's death and this was also the time that Roddy was coming out of the closet (which really ****ed with Jim Martin)

Il processo di registrazione era davvero difficoltoso perchè a Jim non aggardava la direzione presa, era preso male per la morte del padre ed era anche il periodo in cui Roddy si stava dichiarando Gay (ed era parecchio incazzato con Martin)

20 replies since 30/9/2005, 15:56   823 views